Many people believe that to be healthy you have to limit yourself and have discomfort. However, there are many ways to be healthy without undergoing any drastic changes in your life. Even if you follow them partially, the state of health and mood will be improved.
How does lifestyle affect health?
Many health problems are usually associated with the lifestyles. Patients of a gastroenterologist understand why they should not consume fast food and bronchial patients are more likely to stop smoking after diagnosis. Unfortunately, many of our habits increase the chances of getting lifestyle disease. If everyone would know the dangers of consuming foods rich in fat, alcohol or tobacco, lack of sleep or leading a sedentary lifestyle then there would be minor problems.
Eating an unbalanced diet not only affects the gastrointestinal tract but also the whole body as lack of even a single vitamin can cause serious health conditions. The harm that ethyl alcohol and nicotine have to the human body has been proven as they negatively affect the digestive system, respiratory, circulatory and nervous system. Lack of proper rest reduces immunity, contributes to impaired memory and distraction and it also exacerbates existing diseases.
On the contrary people who have been diagnosed often need to change their lifestyle so that the chances of getting the diseases are reduced. In order to be healthy, you need to eat properly and engage in physical activity, consume more fluids and sleep for at least 7-8 hours and avoid stress.
The Right Lifestyle: 20 Habits and Ways to Be Healthy
- Drink more water. An adult requires about 8 glasses of water per day. This can be obtained from liquid foods such as soups. It is better not to drink tea or coffee and instead replace it with water. You should try and get used to drinking a glass if water the moment you wake up as it also ”wakes up” the gastrointestinal tract.
- Don’t miss breakfast. A hearty balanced meal in the morning provides you with vivacity and strength before lunch. Foods such as tea and coffee are not suitable instead you should take a combination of foods such as cottage cheese or eggs, porridge and fruits.
- Rethink your eating habits. Nutritionists advice that you should make your meals in this manner. Half of the plate should contain fresh vegetables, a quarter should have garnish like porridge or starchy vegetables and the other quarter should contain protein such as meat, cottage cheese, eggs or fish. It is ideal that you get rid of sugar and sauces and get used to the natural taste of food. You should give up eating sweets, fast food and snacks. At the beginning it will be hard but with time the craving for these harmful products will be reduced.
- Eat on time. You should stay for at least 2 hours without eating before you go to bed. You should also distribute your meals throughout the day so that you have a break for about 3-4 hours. However, the moment you feel hungry, ensure that you take a snack as it will reduce the chances of overeating during lunch or dinner.
Sleep and rest
- Arrange a bed. The bed should be comfortable with a hard mattress and pillow that are able to support your back as you sleep. Ensure that the bedroom is aerated in the evening. If there is light and noise from the streets which may interfere with your sleep, wear a night mask for the eyes and earplugs.
- Don’t save your sleep time. An adult needs to sleep at least 7-8 hours a day to be healthy. You may be working for long hours and stay awake for 20 hours but in the end it will cause problems and ill health.
- Change classes. The best type of rest is changing the activity. If your work is related to physical labour, you should not rush home immediately and continue with other chores. Once you get home, the first thing should be to take a warm bath, turn on some music and read a book. If you had spent around 8 hours on the computer, you should reduce the screen time and go for a walk or do some workout or even prepare dinner.
- Avoid stress if possible. This is brought by communicating with unpleasant people, uncomfortable working place, problems in your personal life, failures in creativity or in your favourite activities. If you cannot get rid of stress, it is best if you consult a doctor so that you may learn how to respond to stimuli correctly.
Physical fitness support
- Include physical activity in your daily routine. Training heavily is not necessary. To be healthy, you can walk briskly for about and half an hour. With time, you can give up elevators and instead take the stairs. Doing morning activities and having a leisure walk in the evening will in improve your well-being and sleep. You can also include gymnastics in your activity plan.
- Keep your weight within the normal range. If you are overweight or underweight, ensure that you correct it. Both can impact negatively on your health such as the cardiovascular systems.
- Make a day mode. This will help you to organise your time. A clear order will make you not to work till late at night, you will not miss meals or sports and you will also stop forgetting about the necessary rest.
- Do a warm-up. Exercise is great for your legs, back and heart. It is ideal if you walk and stretch after every 20 minutes. However, engaging in an activity even for just an hour will save you from fatigue and your performance will increase.
- Get rid of bad habits. This is hard and you may need professional help. However, avoiding the intake of alcohol, tobacco and other harmful substances will improve your health a lot.
- Avoid unnecessary risk and keep your safety in check. Ensure that you always wear a helmet as your ride a bike or the seatbelt while in a car. This will avoid serious damage in case of an accident.
- Keep an eye on hygiene. Wash your hands thoroughly before eating, after visiting the toilet or the street. Ensure that you shower daily and brush your teeth at least twice a day. These simple activities will save you from contacting many infectious diseases.
- Take your time. There is no point of trying to master all these habits at once. Begin gradually so that they do not cause any tension.
Medicine and body testing
- You should regularly undergo check-ups. This will help in noticing disease early when they are easiest to cure. If you do not have enough time to visit doctors and take the tests on time, go for a full examination when you visit the clinic.
- Don’t ignore the discomfort. If you are feeling unwell, visit the doctor and you should nit wait for that moment when the disease has spread. Yous should not self medicate as you may make mistakes in diagnosis and even exacerbate the problem.
- Follow your doctor’s prescriptions. You should not miss your medications, physiotherapy and ensure that you follow the prescribed instructions of activity and nutrition. If necessary, you may contact a doctor who specialises in the same area.
- Before you radically change your lifestyle, ensure that you contact a specialist. You may find that you cannot do a particular sport or due to allergies or stomach diseases you may not be required to consume a particular healthy product. If you are unsure about your body, consult a doctor.