Gallbladder removal also known as cholecystectomy is one of the most common treatments for cholecystitis, a condition that causes gallstone disease. The bladder is not a vital organ and when it is removed you can still live a normal life but after the operation you will need to follow some measures.
What is the function of gallbladder?
It stores bile needed for digestion. The liver is continuously secreting bile that is stored in the gallbladder. When food is ingested, the gallbladder secreted a portion of bile that dissolves fat produced in food.
After the gallbladder is removed, the liver will continue to secrete bile but it will have nowhere to accumulate and for this reason, the body will not be able to digest fatty foods. In about three to four months, the liver will be rebuilt and begin to secrete bile in small portions. During this adjustment, nutrition should be checked so that you properly heal without any complications.
How is the healing process?
Recovery of the body after the removal of the gallbladder consists of three components:
- Drug therapy. It involves prescription of hepatoprotectors, but the gastroenterologist knows the best prescription.
- Gymnastics for the anterior abdominal wall. Includes independent or group classes in health groups at clinics.
- Diet therapy. The most important component of rehabilitation.
When the body adopts to the absence of gallbladder patients should take a special diet composed of the following:
- Low-fat beef and poultry
- Bream, heck, zander, navaga and cod
- Krupa (for the exclusion of legumes)
- Pasta from hard varieties
- Vegetables, except garlic, onions, radishes, lettuce, spinach and sorrel;
- Non-acid fruits and berries
- Yesterday’s bread, breadcrumbs
- Jam, honey, pastille, marshmallow and marmalade (up to 70 grams per day
- 1 egg per day, low-fat dairy and dairy products
- Decoctions of herbs and rosehip, chicory, soft tea and coffee;
- Vegetable and butter in small quantities.
These products can be cooked, baked or made in stews but should not be fried. All the dishes should be served warm with moderate amount of spices. It is preferable to take fractional meals about 4 to 6 times a day. Other measures are healthy eating by avoiding canned, smoked, spicy, salty and fatty foods and taking more water and engaging in physical activity.
During early stages of recovery the above products should be taken in grated form. After a few months of healing, you can take small portions of alcohol, but extremely spicy food and fats should be avoided completely.
How to avoid complications?
Even after the gallbladder is removed there may be appearance of new stones that will attack the bile duct. After surgery and restructuring if the body, it is ideal that you don’t go back to the old poor eating habits.
The most important thing is to reduce the intake of cholesterol because are 80% made of it.
It is important to exercise so as to avoid stagnation of bile. Two months after the operation you should adopt morning gymnastics and walks for about 30 to 40 minutes then later on you can be swimming.
Gallstone disease, cholecystitis and subsequent should be removed surgery and this a good reason why you should pay attention to your health and nutrition. If you consume a healthy diet and follow the instructions of the doctor you will have a full and long life without pain, even without the gallbladder.