Ginger tea can help when you want to lose weight as it contains diuretic and thermegenic action. It works by increasing the body’s metabolism and make the body spend more energy. However, to ensure that it is effective, it is important that ginger tea be part of a healthy and balanced diet.
In addition, ginger is also an excellent remedy for relieving gastrointestinal conditions such as nausea and vomiting. Ginger tea can be consumed alone or together with lemon, cinnamon, turmeric or nutmeg.
How to lose weight with ginger tea
To lose weight by taking ginger tea, it is advisable to consume the tea at least 3 times a day. When doing this, you should avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages and sugary foods such as biscuits and cakes. It is also advisable to reduce the consumption of industrialized foods such as soft drinks and juices. One should also avoid high-fat foods such as pizza, frozen foods, sausages, fried foods and fast foods.
Moreover, one should also increase consumption of vegetables, fruits, low-fat meats, eggs, milk and other skimmed derivatives. In addition one can also consume good fats found in nuts such as peanuts, hazel nuts and chest nuts, seeds such as flaxseeds, chis or pumpkin as well as fats found in fish such as salmon, tuna and sardines and in other foods such as olive oil and avocado. All these should be included in the diet for efficient weight loss when taking ginger tea.
Aside from eating these foods, it is also important to perform physical activity on a regular basis by doing exercises such as walking, riding a bike, running or swimming. These can be done for about 30 to 60 minutes at least thrice a week.
How to make ginger tea
Ginger tea is made by mixing 2cm fresh ginger in 200ml of water or by adding 1 tablespoon of ginger powder to every 1 liter of water.
Preparation: Place the ingredients in a saucepan and let them simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover the pan then drink it when it is warm.
How to consume: It is advisable to take ginger tea 3 times a day.
To increase the slimming effect of the ginger, it is important to consume a diet that contains less fat and sugar. Regular physical exercise is also a must.
The following recipes can also be used to complement the benefits of ginger especially in regards to weight loss.
1. Ginger with cinnamon
Taking ginger tea that is mixed with cinnamon can also be used to further enhance the slimming effects of this drink. This is because cinnamon reduces the accumulation of fat in the body and decreases appetite and it also contains fibres that increase the feeling of satiety. In addition, cinnamon also helps in regulation of blood sugar, lowering cholesterol and triglycerides as well as lowering blood pressure.
Preparation method: Add cinnamon and ginger to the water then boil the infusion over medium heat for about 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Ginger with turmeric
Turmeric is known to be one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant plants. It has various health benefits such as improving the immune system, improving hormone production as well as circulation.
Preparation mode: Add 1 piece of ginger to half a liter of water and let it boil. While its boiling turn off the heat then add 2 teaspoons of turmeric as you muffle the container. Afterwards, let the drink cool for about 10 minutes then drink it.
3. Ginger juice with pineapple
This combination is a great option to be taken on hot days and it aids in proper digestion. In addition to the digestive properties of ginger, pineapple contains bromelain, an enzymes that aids in the digestion of protein.
Preparation mode: To make the juice, heat the pineapple together with two pieces of ginger and serve with ice cream, without adding any sugar. To make it tastier, you can also add mint and ice.
4. Ginger lemonade
This is also a great option for hot days as it has numerous benefits that aid in weight loss.
- 1 liter of water
- 4 lemons
- 5 grams of grated ginger or powder
Squeeze the juice from 4 lemons in a jar then ass water and ginger. Let it cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes. You can drink the lemonade all day long as you replace it with a liter of water.
Benefits of Ginger Tea
The benefits of daily consumption of ginger tea are:
- Decreases nausea and vomiting: It is safe for the treatment of these symptoms especially in pregnant women and people undergoing chemotherapy.
- Improves digestion: As it prevents acidity and intestinal gases.
- Favors weight loss: When taken together with a balanced diet as you also practice physical activity.
- Decreases blood sugar: As it improves insulin sensitivity and the anti-inflammatory effect that it exerts on the body.
- It can prevent some types of cancer and aid in improvement of immunity as it contains gingerol and shogaol components, which have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects hence avoiding the damage caused by free radicals to the cells. Some studies indicate that it can also be used in prevention of pancreatic, gastrointestinal and colon cancer.
- Helps in the fight against infectious diseases, since it has antiseptic properties.
- Helps eliminate toxins from the liver and prevent fatty liver
- Promotes heart health because it improves blood circulation and has antioxidant property
- Prevents the formation of kidney stone, due to its diuretic effect.
However, ginger should not be consumed in large quantities as there is risk of toxicity. This is because ginger reduces the viscosity of blood therefore its consumption by individuals who take anticoagulant drugs such as aspirin should be guided by a nutritionist so as to avoid bleeding risks.