If you wake up in the morning feeling tired and you have a sore lower back, it is ideal that you not only change your mattress but also assume a comfortable posture as you sleep. You should also check the condition of the spine and other internal organs.
How a sleeper affects your well-being
The moment you experience any pain in the back then you should immediately visit a neurologist or a surgeon who will check for scoliosis or hernias. The main reason for this type of pain is usually sleeping in the wrong position.
Take a closer look at:
- The rigidity of the mattress. A mattress that is too soft does not support the back, and one that is too hard will keep it in a tense state.
- Pillow size. A very large or flat pillow does not Ensure the back is in its natural position.
- Sleeping posture. Sleeping on the abdomen strains the muscles of the lower back, and on the back. The ideal posture for sleeping is on the side with your legs bent.
- The sleeping environment. To cope with unnecessary fatigue before going to bed will help the shower, fresh air, comfortable temperature, light dinner and aromatherapy.
Check your back
If you are certain that the abdomen is in the right state But you still experience a sore lower back after sleep, then that is a sign that the condition of the spine should be checked. It is the most common disease that causes back pain.
What could it be?
- Displacement of the vertebrae. This will cause pain in the legs, difficulty moving and heaviness in the knees.
- Protrusions, hernias and muscle neuralgia. The main problems begin after the nerves are pinched. Back pain will be severe and it may not be treated with medication.
- Osteoporosis is bone thinning. The pain will be felt not only in the morning but throughout the day. The sensations will also be felt in the spine.
- Radiculitis. Pain will be felt suddenly but after sleep the lower back will hurt almost.
If the spine is fine the cause of pain can be pathology of internal organs near the spine.
- Kidney disease. The groin will ache on the side and there will also be problems when it comes with urination. These can be signs of kidney problems after injury or pregnancy, disruption of their functions after consuming alcohol, urinary stone disease and so on.
- Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. There will be nagging pain throughout the lower back, nausea increases and unpleasant feelings after taking food.
- Pregnancy, gynaecological diseases in women and prostatitis in men.
Some rare cases are also when there are parasites in the gut, tuberculosis or oncology. If after sleep you experience lower back pain after sleep, you only need to undergo a comprehensive examination that will determine the exact cause.
Which specialist should you choose?
Depending on what causes the pain, you should consult different doctors:
- Neurologist – Primary examination and spinal diseases.
- Surgeon – Will help with curvature and severe bone damage.
- Nephrologist and urologist – For prostate and kidney disease.
- Gynecologist – For pathologies in the uterus and ovaries.
- Gastroenterologist – For intestinal tract disease: pancreatitis, stomach ulcers, gastroduodenitis.
- Proctologist – For colon diseases, ulcers and polyps.
A neurologist will first confirm if there is a problem of the spine then refer you to another doctor if there is need.
If the diagnosis is operational, you need to do an MRI of the spine and an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity. However, the results should e checked by a doctor. Self diagnosis can come with errors and dire consequences due to lack of proper treatment.
What else is worth paying attention to?
Pain in the back can also be a sign of more than just illness or an uncomfortable place to sleep. There is a probability that the neurologist will ask you to go to the gym rather than for an MRI. If the muscles are weak, the entire body will feel the weight on the spine, which causes acute pain in the lower back. If you are overweight the problem will be exacerbated.
Excessive load on the back in the previous day will cause a lot of pain in the ,muscles in the morning. It may last for a day or two and then disappear without the need for treatment.
Back pain can result to emotional distress therefore you should keep an eye on your mood.
What can you do right now if your lower back hurts after sleep?
If the pain is caused by conditions from internal organs, it is necessary to carry out component treatment so as to eliminate the cause. If you have an appointment with the doctor, you can use painkillers in the meantime.
If the back hurts due to poor sleeping posture or a weak bed, the pain can be relieved through:
- Painkillers and anti-inflammatory ointments will relieve swelling and reduce discomfort and soreness.
- Light gymnastics like back warm-up, tilts to the sides, stretching, exercises on the press.
Eliminate the causes of poor sleep. A dense orthopaedic mattress, a pillow under the neck, regular airing of the bedroom will assist in relieving the back pain. Ensure that you monitor your sleeping posture and roll over the bed so as to relieve the pain.
Despite these actions, back pain may not go away as ointments may not have any effect thus making it to spread to other body parts. If this occurs, you should consult a doctor immediately. For minor cases, at a glance the symptoms can hide a serious threat to health. If you are treated on time, the pain can be dealt with so that other diseases do not develop.